(urth) This week in Google alerts

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 11:17:27 PDT 2011

> > So how does that explain the epithet Silver? It would seem Wolfe's
> >  Hound's (heh) explanation for "Silent Silk or Silver Silk" is
> lacking by
> > 50% wouldn't you agree? Why did Wolfe even mention "Silver Silk"
> >  if he only meant the "silent" explantation to have significance?
>
>  On 11/4/2011 1:01 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> The significance of Silver is obvious, surely?  The full quote is:
> But Tartaros generally turns them black and speaks. Silk said he
> didn't speak
> or make the window change at all, pretty often. He just looked on."
> In contrast to Tartaros, Silk leaves the windows the colour they are.
> Which is described the first time we see one as "luminous grey".
> 'Luminous Grey Silk' lacks both poetry and alliteration; thus 'Silver
> Silk'.

Oh. I thought your method relied SOLELY on the text.  Now here you go
and draw connections based on cryptic word-smithing to derive intent
from the author. Based on your model, shouldn't we expect him to be
called "Gray Silk"?  "graysilk" has a certain poetry does it not? Silver
Silk sounds like a comic book super hero.

How does one cross the line between "drawing inferences from the text"
and "extending the text in a way that annoys"?
Typically, the line is crossed when "he" does it, instead of "me".