(urth) This week in Google alerts

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Nov 4 08:38:51 PDT 2011

From: Lee Berman

> > James Wynn: Incidentally, I really like Lee's identification of Silent Silk and
> >Silver Silk with Silenus and Silvanus. That's an excellent catch, and I'm kicking
> >myself I didn't see it first.

> Heh. Thanks for remembering that James. Yeah, I was familiar with the Silenus and
> Dionysus connection but the silent/silver thing got me motivated to dig a little
> and find Silvanus.

Right.  Some woodland god who shares one syllable and no etymology with the English word silver, and has at best a tenuous connection with Dionysus.  Of course that must be the explanation!  Why worry about the quite plausible derivation of Silent Silk and Silver Silk (for a single god, not two) that Wolfe gives us in the text?  Only jealous, negative people bother with the text!

> But the deepest layers of an onion are not more real or true or necessary than the
> more superficial layers. The same is true about people and works of art, imho. An
> author adds depth and richness to his/her work by creating at multiple levels so I
> don't see why the audience perceiving and appreciating those levels should be seen
> as debasing it.

I see a problem when a continual torrent of supposed ‘levels’ are proposed by readers who don’t appear to recognise the need for or even validity of any methodology for assessing the difference between a genuine correspondence or some spurious ‘link’ dreamt up out of random noise while trying to confirm some other highly questionable theory.

- Gerry Quinn