(urth) This week in Google alerts

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 08:21:59 PDT 2011

--- On Thu, 11/3/11, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) This week in Google alerts
Date: Thursday, November 3, 2011, 8:17 AM

--- On Wed, 11/2/11, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> wrote:

From: Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 3:23 PM

From: Andrew Mason

> But

_Long Sun_ was originally planned independently of _New Sun_; can it

be that Wolfe initially did think of it as closer to our time, and

later, when he decided to integrate it with _New Sun_, had difficulty

finding a date which fitted both?

I forgot about that – it’s a very good point.

Clearly Wolfe reckoned it could work well enough anyway, and indeed I think he is right.  But he obviously was forced to set up a tangle of threads that aren’t that easy to link up perfectly.

- Gerry Quinn

"Planned indepedently" - what does Andrew mean here?  It was planned after New Sun, but he clearly from the very beginning wanted it to be in the same universe.  Pas as Typhon is not a late addition to the text, it's written in from the very very beginning.  He didn't add those connections in in second draft.

Wolfe had his timeline of relative events planned out from the beginning of Long Sun, in my opinion.  My his idea of the futurity of Urth changed but the relative timelines of the two series are not subject to that kind of fudging.

Should be "maybe  his idea of the futurity of urth changed" sorry can't type today.