(urth) This week in Google alerts

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 05:31:40 PDT 2011

>Andrew Mason: I'm beginning to incline to the 'just a prophet' view,
>because of the 'aspects of the Outsider' passage in OBW. These 'aspects'
>seem to be people through whom the Outsider reveals himself, and they are
>treated as if they are all equal in signficance, which would be odd if there
>was a person in that world who actually _was_ the Outsider, made manifest.

I think this is a good point (not coincidentally since it supports my current
view of the Sun Series, heh).

It seems to be a defining aspect of Christianity that all of God's earthy presence
is focused into this one individual, Jesus Christ. Unlike the pagan gods there are
no pantheons, or god-human matings and demigods floating around. Even in contrast to
the Old Testament, most Christians don't see God or Christ appearing in a burning bush
or pillar of fire or through some Jacob-wrestling angel. Since the appearance of Jesus,
all earthly connections to God must go through Christ. (please correct me if I'm wrong
on this).

There must be a reason Wolfe puts Severian as part of a quartite pantheon at the end
of UotNS.  I think there is a point to Wolfe having multiple versons and appearances
and access points to the Outsider and to the appearances of real demons (be they
electronic, blood sucking or underwater) in the absence of the Outsider. The Outsider
is surely a good dude; as good as it gets in Briah. But without the presence of one
Urthly (Whorly, Bluesy) path to him, he seems pretty pagan to me.

Or are we supposed to assume the future of Blue will have a Church of SilkHornity?