(urth) Hyacinth

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 07:15:01 PDT 2011

I was just checking into the Hyacinth myth and I was reminded that this
character was a teenage boy, the sexual consort of Apollo. I was trying
to think if there is any evidence (for or against) that this might impact
the Long Sun story.

Somewhere in his writing, Mantis remarks that Hyacinth's breasts, as
described, seem likely to be implants. Silk does seem almost unnaturally
afraid of his own passion when he first meets Hyacinth. And she is a
shockingly good fighter, we find out toward the end. Is there any evidence
that Hyacinth can't be male, like her being pregnant?

It wouldn't be a complete shock to find Blood's clients might have a thing
for ladyboys, especially Oosik. In history, pagan soldiers have a reputation
for that sort of thing.

James Wynn has suggested Patera Incus (I think it was him, yes?) might be
part of a gender bender thing going on. I wonder if James might find the
inclusion of Zephyrus (West Wind) as part of the Hyacinth-Apollo story to
be of interest.