(urth) Pike/Oreb

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 10:57:00 PDT 2011

--- On Tue, 11/1/11, Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com> wrote:

From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Pike/Oreb
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2011, 10:50 AM

larry miller wrote

Started reading Lake of Long Sun last night and Im totally confused
about the appearance of Patera Pike and Oreb in Silks room.  I know
there was some mention of this last week in a few posts but I didnt
want to chime in until I read it.  Thing is I still have no clue as to
what to make of it.  Anyone out there have any idea what to make of
that sequence?
 My conclusion a while back is that it wasn't actually Patera Pike he saw, but his older self astral-traveling back in time, and bringing Oreb along. The BOTSS novels show Silk using this ability quite a bit.

I have a short article discussing that and other theories about the apparition on the Wolfe Wiki:
http://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=LakeOfTheLongSun.TheHolyGhost

Dave, I really like your interpretive work on Evil Guest and there, and I agree 100%.  Remember what Krait said, "Paradoxes explain everything ... since they do, they can't be explained."

also, I think you, if the Wiki is all you, are dead right on the Mucor as doll in the dream state.  Have you read Talk of Mandrakes?  Also, I am somewhat confident later in Exodus from the Long Sun the black and blue tunic of Silk indicates some kind of causal confusion when he is present but have not been able to trace it.