(urth) Problematic element in chronology

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Tue May 31 15:03:27 PDT 2011

Sergei Soloviev wrote:

. It seems also that the plan might include that
> the Whorl
> will come back and repeople Urth (Ushas) after the floods etc. - in the end
> of the Short Sun cycle it is going to be repaired and travel again - to
> go where?

I don't think Typhon knew about the floods when he started the Whorl
project - they seem to have been revealed by Severian in the last year
of his (Typhon's) reign.

> Some hints are also in the end of "The Urth of the New Sun".

Are you thinking of the people landed from the sky? It seems as if
they come from Tzadkiel's ship - the line in question is certainly
cryptic, but I can't see what it could mean if they didn't. And in any
case, I don't think Wolfe knew about the Whorl when he wrote _Urth_ -
didn't he say that it was only while he was working on _Long Sun_ that
he realised it was about Typhon? Which would imply that it wasn't part
of his original plan for Urth.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the Whorl is, at the end,
returning to Urth - but if so, I don't think it's part of the original
plan, Typhon's or Wolfe's.