(urth) Phanes Off-List

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon May 30 11:53:17 PDT 2011

On 5/28/2011 2:24 PM, Nick Lee wrote:

> I believe that, at his foundation, Wolfe is a genre writer. This is
> not meant as a slight. What I mean is that Wolfe builds a world. This
> is the ground he lays for the story he wants to tell. His stories
> reflect his interests. He wouldn't be much of a writer if there were
> nothing more to him. Still, he does repeat himself. Look at the
> repetition of blue and green in his stories. Always these two colors:
> blue and green.

Nick,

I think you and I read Wolfe's various novels and short stories
similarly except I don't read his attraction as centered around a single
deity or myth. Like you, I have a hard time explaining my explanation in
an email. It's too long and to all-encompassing. It's not This or That.
It's everywhere. It's like trying to explain how water relates to the
ocean. I constantly feel like I need to bring more bring more into it. I
bring this up now because you mentioned the Wolfe's 'blue-green' theme,
and I believe I can directly explain why it so important.

If you care to, I'll share it with you. Perhaps we can help each other
along.

James