(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu May 26 06:57:31 PDT 2011

--- On Thu, 5/26/11, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
> Subject: (urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?
> To: urth at lists.urth.net
> Date: Thursday, May 26, 2011, 8:32 AM
>

> Severian is a known bisexual.
>
> >David Stockhoff: How do we "know" this?
>
> Surely we don't. Though I think there are suggestions he is
> a closeted bisexual.
> Perhaps with some pedophilic tendencies also. In context, I
> wonder if Nick wasn't
> leaning toward "hermaphrodite" or even "androgyne"..of
> course that sounds more like
> Tzadkiel or the old Autarch.

Right. I'm sure there was circlejerking and more going on the Tower among the apprentices, since they grew up in what must have been literally a prison-like environment even though they were not themselves prisoners. But that doesn't make anyone bisexual, just inured to such conditions. And I don't know of any "incidents" in Severian's account of his life.