(urth) Chronology

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Thu May 26 04:16:15 PDT 2011

I find the chronology overall very confusing but I'm certain it is just as GW intended it, because he didn't have any gun to his head not to make it correct.

- Ymar both sounds and doesn't sound like the first autarch - though just as Typhon refers to himself as autarch, commonwealthers may have applied the term to any earlier ruler.

- Typhon shouldn't have been forgotten, even if his rise and fall were meteoric - cf Alexander -, could memory of him have been deliberately suppressed? And yet they'd leave him around in his mountain?

- How come Cilinia's remains are still in order after so much time, be it a thousand years or 2k?

- How come Scylla sounds so childish in comparison to Tartaros if she was older and they were scanned at the same time?

These and many more could all be GW's inconsistencies, but why would he be inconsistent when it would cost him nothing not to be?

No, I don't think he would introduce brutal incoherence into latter works just because it would be cool to have this or that episode happen. And I don't find the 'it's all different universes' theory satisfying.