(urth) Ymar

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Wed May 25 14:16:53 PDT 2011

Chronology of Urth seems to me extremely interesting. To add to our
discussion some
more elements/questions:

Silk/Horn "spirits" travel to Urth when Severian is an apprentice.
Apparently the interval
between their visits on Urth is the same as on Blue, so they came the same
year.  First time, when they are with
Rigoglio, they discuss how much time passed between the departure of
Whorl and
their visit. Rigoglio was put on the Whorl by Typhon, and the date may
be very precise -
it is the last year of Typhon rule. There is a traveler who says how
much dead part
of the city moves during one generation (about one block US sense).
There is several
leagues between the street where the house of Rigoglio stood and the
fringe of Nessus.
For the Whorl only 300 years passed, but we understand that it was
relativistic
"shrinking of time". So it is maybe several hundreds of generations, but
not much more
if the speed of the city fringe remained constant.

Best

Sergei