(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 13:59:49 PDT 2011

> From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>

> >Jerry Friedman: I'll bet you have no trouble saying "smoke" or "Cass  does"
>with an /s/.
> >My intuition for "Casdoe" is a /z/, though, like  yours.  I doubt it matters.
>
> I have no trouble saying "smoke" because  the "s" is not in the middle of the
>word. I can
> say "Cass does" easily IF I  say it as two separate words. If I say it quickly,
>as one
> word, the  difficulty returns.

How about "disdain" or "misdirect"?

> I'm not saying the difficulty is inherent in human  tongue function but rather
>a function of
> my AmE trained tongue and the  linguistic rules it has learned over a lifetime.
>It only matters
>
> as the  point of a hypothesis for why non-native speakers of English are more
>likely to  have caught
> that Cas was Dorcas.

As I recall, your point was about the final vowel.  We usually don't make
nicknames out of final syllables whose vowel is a schwa (though I did know an
Eric who was sometimes called Rick).  I thought that was a good point.  On the
other hand, I'd say the final "s" of both "Cas" and "Dorcas" the same way (as
/s/), so at least for me, the "s" has nothing to do with why I missed that
connection.  Neither does the pronunciation of "Casdoe".

Jerry Friedman