(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Tue May 24 09:45:10 PDT 2011

DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:
> "making clothes for the poor"
>
> Of course! I just read the wiki but did not make the connection.
>
> Dorcas made clothes for the poor; Agia buys rags and used clothing from the poor. I suppose these may be complementary rather than opposite functions, but they also try to cheat or mug the rich. Did Agia and her brother buy their shop from Dorcas' parents?

To me it seems highly improbable. First - Agia and her brother were not
born then. Even if you ask, whether
their shop did belong to Dorcas parents in distant past, I think it
is not probable. Dorcas was living with her husband in the part of
the Nessus that became abandoned later. The city moves North, and before
some
part is abandoned, it becomes poorer and poorer. The shop of Agia and
Agilus is in
a relatively good part, and there is no indication that the parents of
Dorcas or her
husband or her son (who is serving in the Inn of the Lost Loves) had any
property
in this part of Nessus.

Best

Sergei Soloviev