(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue May 24 06:37:38 PDT 2011

From: "António Pedro Marques" <entonio at gmail.com>

> No dia 23/05/2011, às 18:01, "Gerry Quinn" <gerryq at indigo.ie> escreveu:
>
>> Readers who embrace too carelessly the impossible may therefore find
>> themselves thinking that Wolfe is extraordinally ambiguous, whereas
>> readers who dismiss too easily the unlikely may find them lacking in
>> solutions.
>
> +1 (I'm a dense reader myself, so I'm not implying my reading is the best)

Thank you.  Obviusly I make the comment from my own perspective, thinking -
but don't we all even if modesty makes it hard to say - that I am a
reasonably good reader of Wolfe, or at least a good assessor of different
ideas about his books (I am probably not especially creative when it comes
to inventing new ideas).  And it would be disingenuous of me not to admit
that I see most of my battles on this newsgroup as being with people who
lean too much towards embracing impossible theories.

That is logical, though, as people of the kind who dismiss the unlikely
probably won't show up too often on a list like this.  You will see reviews
of Wolfe from time to time that exclaim "why do people rave about this guy,
stuff happens in his books for no reason and nothing is explained!"  I think
those reviews are from that kind of folks, and they will generally then put
Wolfe down and find some author more to their liking.  So I suppose it's
inevitable that the average perspective in a list like this will lean
towards overly fantastical interpretations.

- Gerry Quinn