(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon May 23 15:44:59 PDT 2011

James Wynn wrote:
>> Give us some Stuff That Happens.
>
> ?????
> Are you winding me up, Antonio?

No. You usually don't need any help in that regard. I wish you'd stop
reacting that way, but that's who you are, and it doesn't get so much in the
way once one gets the hang of it.

> Almost all of Part II and all of Part III are lifted out of The Jungle
> Book and has zero relation to the life Romulus.
> Part IV has parallels to the life of Romulus, but it is it's own story.
> If this is a joke, now is the time to say something.

I don't know what you want me, or anyone else, to say. I think it's clear
for most of us that like others the F&F story was cobbled up from various
stories we know, and maybe one or other we don't. You even eloquently laid
out a possible account of its composition. What I don't think is correct is
to insist, after all that, that there is one obvious identification there
for all to see, much less that that is to Ymar. It may be defensible, but I
don't find it cogent or enabling enough for it to be proclaimed as evident.
I've mentioned before theories may stand on their plausibility, on their
evidential support, and on their ability to enrichen the story (and enrichen
means not with themselves, but with something more). Where one of those
aspects is missing, one other may suffice - and that's why I think Gerry
asked you what does Frog ~ Ymar bring into the book, and 'it brings Frog ~
Ymar' isn't very satisfying. (You'll now ask what does Nulukkizdin bring
into the Hobbit, or Grandma Dorcas into the New Sun, but those aren't
theories, they're data; and I'm afraid this brings us into one our first
exchanges here, which I don't think would be especially nice to revisit.)

So no, I'm not winding you up, I'm asking you to wind down.