(urth) Wolfe in music?

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:29:12 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Stuart Hamm <hammstu at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Wolfe and Malmsteen...that's rich...
> I connected Wolfe and Fripp....I thought that was a better mix...but you
> are correct , I am certain there is no difference between Yngwie Malmsteen
> and Robert Fripp to Our Hero ...!!!

Yeah, like I said, prog and metal.  Speaking of which, though, does anyone
know what kind of music Gene himself likes to listen to?

Craig Brewer to Urth

Metal and folk don't often go hand in hand, do they? Or do they? I don't
know much about metal.
Sometimes, I think.  But they share medieval and ancient fantasy and myth
themes in common in their lyrics and imagery and even lifestyle often.
 (That was a hilarious description you gave of 'filk' by the bye.)

What kind of music does Wolfe mention in his books? I'm drawing a blank on
> whether he describes much of the music in New/Long/Short Sun in particular.

Whoah! That's weird, I'm drawing a blank too.  Surely there's mention of
music!  It feels like his Solar worlds are somehow resplendent with music,
song, and poetry - even if their never mentioned!  Is this another instance
of Wolfe's insanely powerful *implied/assumed* world-building?

-DOJP