(urth) Wolfe in music?

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:15:44 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:05 PM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/23/2011 2:02 PM, Daniel Petersen wrote:
>
>> Of course, the really hilarious thing is that I highly doubt Gene himself
>> is into anything remotely like all that!  (Nor was Tolkien, who found his
>> way into Led Zeppelin and others.)
>>

> And yet I think Wolfe created Severian to appeal to that sort of audience.
> He has said repeatedly that initial seed to Severian was that he wanted a
> character fans could easily cosplay at conventions.

 Yeah, I've always heard that too.  So yeah, cosplay and so on for sure.
 Gene seems to definitely have some kind of baroque, gothic taste that
overlaps with these subcultures (from costumed convention-goers to
metalheads).  At times the guy's practically a goth-metal lyricist!
 Hilarious.  But I love how these aspects of Wolfe relate so widely to
'alternative' art-culture.  That's one part of why I think more gothy/punky
writers like Gaiman and Mieville love him so much.  And it just adds to the
enigma of the disparate parts he brings together into one man.  What a guy.

-DOJP