(urth) An Evil Guest

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon May 23 11:20:13 PDT 2011

So glad to hear you liked it, Antonin!  I just finished it and found it VERY
interesting and exciting on certain levels (though baffling and frustrating
too - which is only to be expected, surely!).  I feel like most of the
reviews and comments I've run into so far seem more dubious and negative
than not.  I was utterly surprised to find that it more or less ACTUALLY
lived up to all the blurbs trying to succinctly describe it on the book
cover.

I actually think it may end up being a helpful key or guide in certain ways
to reading the Solar Cycle - I feel like Wolfe more overtly showcased some
of his unique forms and methods of narrative in this book, and some of his
Solar Cycle themes also.

Your theory about Margaret kind of blows my mind, but I'll have to see how
people are arriving at that hypothesis.  It would at least partly make sense
of why I found Margaret such an interesting minor character.  (I felt there
was some fairly self-conscious reference to her being - or at least being
like - a little 'gray' elf or sprite or fairy or some such creature.)  Is
there any direct reference to time travel in the novel?

-DOJP