(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon May 23 04:48:56 PDT 2011

I disagree completely! The nice round number of Apostles was chosen by
human "editors" and by tradition. The number 12 preceded the New
Testament, much as significant parts of the mythology of Christ preceded
Christ by centuries, as Wolfe is well aware.

However, it hardly matters. Let's say that 12 has a real significance in
our universe, so that God indeed chose 12 apostles, and Wolfe agrees.

Then I posit that 17 has a real significance in Severian's universe.
That explains why it pops up 3 times in (to me) unrelated contexts. This
is exactly what you'd expect if 17 was Severian's 12.

This is what you would expect if Urth was a gnostic parody of Earth.