(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sun May 22 12:41:24 PDT 2011

> From: Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie>

> Now it is pretty evident that Wolfe did not mean ground sloths,  and probably
>the 17 Megatherians are some line of human rulers, monsters, or  humans who were
>for some reason called 'great beasts'.

By the way, LU notes that there's a literal "megathere" in CotC, Ch. 22.  Just
for grins, one possible connection with "the great beast Abaia" is that the
megathere has a "deathlike sleep"--there's Cthulhu again.  Perhaps some will
also find significance in the spelling with a final "e" (contrary to my guess
earlier), unlike the arctother, arsinoither, baluchither, and uintather.  (What
would I do without LU?)

Jerry Friedman