(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Sat May 21 17:09:19 PDT 2011

No dia 21/05/2011, às 23:58, Jack Smith <jack.smith.1946 at gmail.com> escreveu:

> The mystery is not resolved until Book 4.

The realisation that Dorcas is Severian's grandmother, that is. The pieces only appear gradually. No one could guess them earlier (other than by random guess, which doesn't count). It's the association of Dorcas and Cas and the idea that Dorcas had been resurrected that one could get instantly with Dorcas's appearance - I mean, where the heck had she come from? And just a minute before there was a guy looking for someone of a name so similar that they could be variations? I found it obvious - but in what I now consider a very unwolfean way, so it's no wonder those familiar with Wolfe would not even think of asking those two questions.