(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri May 20 18:46:09 PDT 2011

From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>

> On 5/20/2011 8:31 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>> Of course, we don't know how the White Fountain was transported, and we
>> must assume it was slowed down within the solar system, and maybe
>> whatever means accomplished this created gravitational radiation or some
>> other effect which disrupted Urth.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by undetectable gravitational radiation; the
> sun and the moon have gravitation, and they make very detectable tides
> upon the earth. The mass that anchors the throat of the White Fountain
> wormhole would do the same as it arrives in the solar system, increasing
> as it sweeps toward Urth, peaking with the Flood at its closest approach,
> then decreasing and merging with the solar tides as it takes up residence
> in the sun (making it become the New Sun).

I don't have my copy of UotNS to hand, but I remember stuff about bells
ringing etc.  The gravitational effect of a flyby from a massive object
would not set bells to ringing.  So I thought of gravitational radiation,
which is a different thing.  As light and radio waves etc. are to
electrostatics, so gravitational radiation is to gravity.  The radiation
consists of propagating disturbances in the field associated with
acceleration of charge or mass, whereas the static effects are constant
forces that are observed when charges move slowly, or not at all.  For
various reasons, gravitostatic forces are very obvious to us in the everyday
world, but gravitomagnetic effects not at all - whereas with the
electromagnetic force, electromagnetism is the more obvious effect, but
electrostatic effects are also readily discernable.  (The term
gravitomagnetism has nothing directly to do with ordinary magnetism, which
is electromagnetism.  It is the gravitational effect corresponding to
electromagnetism.  Gravitational waves and 'frame dragging' are examples of
gravitomagnetism in action.)

The trouble with simple gravity (gravitostatics) is this: why make a close
approach to Urth?  The White Fountain cannot be a large proportion of the
Sun's mass.or it would disrupt Urth's orbit too much.  If an object less
massive than the Sun were moved to the Sun on the far side of Urth's orbit,
or at a large angle to the plane of Urth's orbit, it would create no
disastrous tides at all!  Unless the purposive squishing of Urth is
intended, the effects must come from something other than simple
gravitational attraction.

I'm not sure there's much to read into this though.  At the end of the day
Wolfe wanted a dramatic and catastrophic effect.  Current physics does not
really justify it - for me the best solution is some unknown technology
related to the transport of the White Fountain, which results in the
emission of strong gravitational waves as it deccelerates near the end of
its journey.   But even these have problems because of poor coupling - by
which I mean that the frequency that rings bells is too high to be easily
absorbed by oceans.

I would suggest some effect caused by the irruption of the White Fountain
into Briah, but I think there is evidence that it travels across normal
space to the Sun, and has been in Briah-space for some considerable time, as
the source of Severian's negentropic powers.  So instead I suggest
decelleration, which will certainly be needed if it has travelled many light
years in a chiliad or two.

- Gerry Quinn