(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri May 20 04:32:22 PDT 2011

On 5/19/2011 10:37 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 5/18/2011 6:31 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>> Then (a) what would be the "source" of the water (or rather of the
>> energy that drives the water) and (b) since surely people still live in
>> Tibet, was the Flood universal at all?
>
> b) The global cooling of Sev's time could have rendered
> Tibet/Nepal/etc an iced-over hinterland with too little oxygen even
> for genetic acclimation by "real" people. But I would think that some
> of the underpeople must have survived for mythic parallel reasons, and
> if they made it, there's no way to rule out a few humans in the mix.
> Of course, Severian himself survives to "contaminate" Ushas with the
> sins of Urth, so there might as well be other Urth humans in the
> woodpile on that account as well.
>
> a) The source of energy driving the Flood would be the tides from the
> advent of the White Fountain. The only hints we are given as to its
> size or scale is that its purpose  is to renew the sun, and that
> Typhon relates he was told the sun had dimmed by 7 parts in a thousand
> IIRC. This could mean a lot of things depending on which scaling laws
> we choose to interpret it the value give, from 7/1000 the mass of the sun
> down to zero and back up to the same figure in negative mass. The
> closeness of approach matters of course, but I can't recall if tides
> scale by the third or fourth power of distance.

Of course---the tides themselves! In that case, there is no way any but
the oldest mountains could be overwhelmed, but I think you're
right---there is enough evidence in TBOTNS to believe that even in the
Commonwealth very few people had permanent settlements among mountains.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110520-0, 05/20/2011
Tested on: 5/20/2011 7:32:23 AM