(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu May 19 19:37:44 PDT 2011

On 5/18/2011 6:31 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> Then (a) what would be the "source" of the water (or rather of the
> energy that drives the water) and (b) since surely people still live in
> Tibet, was the Flood universal at all?

b) The global cooling of Sev's time could have rendered Tibet/Nepal/etc
an iced-over hinterland with too little oxygen even for genetic
acclimation by "real" people. But I would think that some of the
underpeople must have survived for mythic parallel reasons, and if they
made it, there's no way to rule out a few humans in the mix. Of course,
Severian himself survives to "contaminate" Ushas with the sins of Urth,
so there might as well be other Urth humans in the woodpile on that
account as well.

a) The source of energy driving the Flood would be the tides from the
advent of the White Fountain. The only hints we are given as to its size
or scale is that its purpose  is to renew the sun, and that Typhon
relates he was told the sun had dimmed by 7 parts in a thousand IIRC.
This could mean a lot of things depending on which scaling laws we
choose to interpret it the value give, from 7/1000 the mass of the sun
down to zero and back up to the same figure in negative mass. The
closeness of approach matters of course, but I can't recall if tides
scale by the inverse third or fourth power of distance.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >