(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun May 1 09:31:30 PDT 2011

On 5/1/2011 7:08 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> Is it impossible? I had no idea. ;)

If your freedom to swing your arm doesn't end where my nose begins,
obviously my nose is harmed for the benefit of you getting to swing your
arm as you like.

If we agree to limit the freedom to swing our arms where the noses of
others begins, there's no check on the the proliferation of noses and
one day I am harmed by the atrophy of my arms because there's no room to
swing them at all.

We could compromise on a minimum arm-swinging radius, but this harms
armless people by reducing their nose-room while they obviously get no
benefit from more arm room.

And so on.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >