(urth) Problematic element in chronology

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Tue May 31 11:29:34 PDT 2011

By the way, I don't remember any mention of a fuel used by landers. They
depend for AI part on "cards" (much like chips nowadays) but... Does
any of the personages say/ask/wonder about that? Also, how does the Long
Sun work?
(The description makes me think about some fusion technology,
but I don't think there are any clear indications. And I think that no form
of fusion can provide sufficient energy to accelerate Whorl to near-light
speed. Roughly, fusion converts about 1% of mass into energy, and the
mass of an accelerated body grows - very roughly, if the mass grows
twice, you have to spend at least an equivalent of this mass in energy.
This with very high efficiency, not as our chemical rockets.
Similar for braking. Antimatter? In the beginning of this voyage Whorl
had to have
about half of its mass in stored antimatter? Gamma-rays if it annihilates
in the Long Sun?)

Sergei