(urth) Problematic element in chronology

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon May 30 14:39:48 PDT 2011

On 5/30/2011 1:36 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>> So we think, but then again it's not like we've much of a portfolio to
>> show as a species.
>
> I think that Wolfe knows this is not really possible but happily wrote
> it anyway. I think he strives for scientific versimilitude when he can,
> but such versimilitude is far from perfect. And why should it be - he is
> writing science fiction stories, not science textbooks. If the science
> were correct readers could reasonably ask for their money back!.

Right on! Science fiction is so called because it appeals to the
authority of science to suspend disbelief. However, appeals to authority
aren't scientific, so science fiction inherently diverges from
scientific accuracy. Ergo, accuracy in the science is nice but absolute
correctness (another unscientific concept) is not required.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >