(urth) Problematic element in chronology - Red Giants

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon May 30 14:32:03 PDT 2011

On 5/30/2011 1:21 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>
>> On 5/29/2011 7:48 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>
>>> I don't think the issue of small black holes matters to BotNS - the
>>> black hole described is absorbtive, and thus large enough to have a low
>>> temperature. In the context of black holes, there's actually not much
>>> margin between the temperature of a stellar interior and that of outer
>>> space. They are either colder or hotter than either, and those that
>>> persist are certainly colder.
>>
>> Where is it described?
>
> Standard theory (you can find it in Wikipedia etc.)

I mean, where is the black hole described in BotNS? How is it
characterized sufficiently to make those proceeding inferences?

> of a black hole inversely proportional to its mass. A solar mass black
> hole has a temperature of about a ten millionth of a degree. An
> earth-mass black hole has a temperature of a fiftieth of a degree.

Something on the order of an earth-mass black hole with hand-sized even
horizon is what I had in mind. This would imply that the White Fountain
would be of a similar magnitude and why it would do such a job on Urth
as it passed along.

> In truth it's hard to imagine that it would have the effects
> described
 > in BotNS; I assume Wolfe is winging it.

Oh, of course. I'm just saying that a hypermass of a vague order of
magnitude can have effects that qualitatively resemble what's in the book.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >