(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu May 26 05:32:55 PDT 2011

Severian is a known bisexual.

>David Stockhoff: How do we "know" this?

Surely we don't. Though I think there are suggestions he is a closeted bisexual.
Perhaps with some pedophilic tendencies also. In context, I wonder if Nick wasn't
leaning toward "hermaphrodite" or even "androgyne"..of course that sounds more like
Tzadkiel or the old Autarch.

>James Wynn: Boy, Nick, did you ever come to the right counter.

He did. Where has Nick been hiding?

>Phanes is not a bad key. What is your source on him? Because the only picture I've found of
>him is slightly reminiscent of the Zervan (which I have argued is invoked in the character Silk).
>Only one head, though. Nor can I find where Ericapaeus could be translated Spring Wind. Nor
>where he is associated with Thetis (and this would not be surprising in a wide variety of monomyth
>models).

I found a site which answers some of James' questions. A tri-partite god rather than having three heads.
He's wedged somewhere in the post-Chaos, pre-Uranos space with some relationship to Erebus and Nyx.
Quite angelic-looking. And..

>"In addition to the name Phanes, he is also called  Dionysos, Erikepaios, Eros, Metis, Protogonos, [9]
>Zeus, Firstborn, and Pan."

As a light-bringer, like Prometheus, like Lucifer, like Severian, he has been both deified and demonized.
Combining elements of Prometheus and Pan, I think he must also be associated with Azazel, the fallen angel
known for bringing the arts of warfare to men and beautification to women (like Inire/Cumaean?).

(to confuse things, Dionysus and Ariadne had a son named Phanos who ended up as an Argonaut)

Here's the site: http://www.hellenicgods.org/Phanes