(urth) More on Frog and Fish

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:21:43 PDT 2011

> I think the Romulus and Mowgli stories are to be seen as
> pointing to Severian. Not only was he brought up by 'wolves' and
> became a ruler, but his mother, it seems, was a virgin priestess, and
> he had a twin.  Also as a baby he was carried in a basket. (It's not
> clear why that would be important, but Wolfe seems to think it is - he
> mentions baskets repeatedly.)  On the face of it, he's a better fit
> for Frog than Ymar was. But of course the story isn't a record of his
> life; it's a myth that looks forward to him.

This was actually my first assumption. I was motivated to make it work.
But we know more about Severian than anyone else in the book, yet beyond
very broad outlines (in some cases), he doesn't seem to map or be
mappable. The whole bit about the Butcher and the wolves...and just
can't see how to force him into it. And there are elements that don't
really seem to work at all. Even after Urth of the New Sun, the
end-story doesn't look like Severian at all. That flood would be hard to
miss.

J.