(urth) Ceryx (answer to Lee)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed May 25 10:43:48 PDT 2011

>> James Wynn:
>> Yeah, but Sev is a Time-traveler. This is his grandfather after all.
>> Granted, Severian doesn't tell us everything.
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes:
> Yeah, no. I don't see Sev travelling down the timestream to tell the
> old man, "Hey, Grampa, you know Gramma? Well, I screwed her all the
> way to Thrax."

I doubt that information would have gone over any better with Ouen. Sev
maneuvered nicely around that bit of doo-dah and even the fact that he
was his son in case it came up.

Incidentally, even though Agia does not sell out of the same shop as
Sevs grandparents, she and her brother _are_ shopkeepers. And there is
this bit of juxtapositioning  in Citadel:

"Another man, living in the midst of millions, may be
alone, because there are none but enemies and victims around him.
Agia, whom I might have loved, has chosen instead to become a
female Vodalus, taking all that lives most fully in humanity as her
opponent. I, who might have loved *Agia*, who loved *Dorcas* deeply
but perhaps not deeply enough, was now alone because I had
become a part of her past, which she loved better than she had ever
(except, I think, at first) loved me."

So, I think that those that speculate that the two might be related are
not at sea without jib or anchor.

J.