(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue May 24 13:15:24 PDT 2011

>Sergei Soloviev: Severian is not immediately arrested after his meeting with Ceryx. Ceryx
>creates a "zombie" from a drowned young man. Zombie tries to kill Severian, becomes
>truly alive due to Severian, and kills Ceryx in the morning (and is killed by the mob).Then
>Severian travels on a boat to Saltus, He is accompanied by the followers who think him
>to be the Consiliator, and this of course cannot be tolerated by the dictatorial regime of
>Typhon.

I consider the whole episode with Zama and his resurrection to be a part of Severian's
encounter with Ceryx. Severian's power of healing, life and death is proven.

You are right that there is the interlude of the boat ride before Severian is arrested.
But your hypothesis that Severian is arrested by a large group of soldiers and taken to the
Citadel and then to Typhon himself because he has collected a few followers doesn't ring true for
me. Like hitting a tack witha sledge hammer.

Moreover, when Typhon speaks with Severian it isn't about political power. It is about his power
as a medical wonderworker. And we know that Typhon is currently undergoing a medical emergency.
I don't think it is a coincidence.

Ah the price of arrogance ;- ). He had to demand a demonstration of power from Severian.  If Typhon
had summoned Severian and asked him nicely for some help with his nerve grafts, he might have gotten it.
Moreover if he'd asked Severian nicely to be his regent on Urth, in the future, he might have gotten that
also (Severian is no Jesus and the Thecla within him desired a throne).