(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 11:05:04 PDT 2011

> From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>

> >Jeff Wilson- How do we know Casdoe is a Kazz, then? I thought it was
>Kass-Dough.
>
> Well, regional and individual dialects differ. But "Z" is  the voiced analog of
>the
> unvoiced "S" sound. "D" is voiced.
>
> It is a  general linguistic rule in AmE (thanks to Antonio for that
>abbreviation) that
>
> an "S" placed mid-word will be voiced if the next consonent is voiced and
>unvoiced if the
> next consonent is unvoiced.

The only pronunciation of "disdain" at the on-line Merriam-Webster and American
Heritage dictionaries is with an /s/, though.

> "T" is an unvoiced  consonent.  "M" is a voiced consonent. So the word
>"plastic" is pronounced
>
> "plas-tik" while the word "plasma"is prounounced "plaz-ma".
>

> Speech really is different than spelling in many cases. Jeff, I don't know
>about you, but when
> I try to say your "Kass-dough" out loud my tongue trips  and  stumbles in the
>middle.

I'll bet you have no trouble saying "smoke" or "Cass does" with an /s/.

My intuition for "Casdoe" is a /z/, though, like yours.  I doubt it matters.

> Voiced "Kazz-dough" comes out smooth.  So does unvoiced Casto as "Kass-toe".
>But switching from
>
> unvoiced to voiced  in mid-word is awkward for most AmE speakers. Thus the "S"
>- "Z" phonemic rule.

Jerry Friedman doesn't think it's a rule but mostly agrees.