(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue May 24 10:02:01 PDT 2011

--- On Tue, 5/24/11, Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:

> From: Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie>
> Subject: Re: (urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?
> Date: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
>
> From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
> >Gerry Quinn:
>

> As I wrote the above, another example of embellishment with
> ideas of the time occured to me: it is in the section where
> the wolves in their burrow defend Frog from the
> smilodon.  The animals are spoken of as carrying
> weapons such as knives.  There is of course a strong
> echo here of the idea of bees with swords, which was the
> concept of bees held by the people immured for generations
> in the Antechamber.  Perhaps Wolfe is suggesting that
> the tales were transmitted via some antechamber folk who
> found their way out.  Or perhaps these embellishments
> were added at a time when Urth was a megapolis with few
> animals.  We don't know, and we don't really need to
> know.  The point is the structure, not the
> embellishments per se.

The Antechamber always made me think vaguely of Plato's Cave, the way its inhabitants sit telling stories from a world they have never seen and know nothing of except from those stories. One one hand, this is much like mortals trying to figure out the nature of a Divine Being they can't see; on the other, their stories achieve a sort of perfection without the correction that knowledge of the real world would provide. Both ideas are pretty central to Wolfe's approach to myth.

> > Unfortunately I cannot get to the text right now. Am I
> right in remembering the sowing of teeth or
> > stones to grow soldiers in Tale of Boy Called Frog? If
> so the story also invokes Cadmus, the
> > founder of Thebes and that royal house. As brother to
> Europa and grandfather to Dionysus, the
> > mythological inclusion of Cadmus might be fruitful in
> fleshing out more of the Sun Series backstory.
>
> No - he raised an army composed of ordinary men plus
> wolves.

Are you sure? I also was reminded of the Jason story.