(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue May 24 06:10:24 PDT 2011

Acts gives both names.

Of course, the names Wolfe selects do not always have an obvious purpose
to them. So it's understandable that even a "bible thumper", as Antonio
calls people who are familiar with the Bible, could reasonably have
missed the hint.
The Book of the New Sun was the first thing I had ever read by Wolfe.
Frankly, when I read it the first round, it felt like one of those late
60s and 70s movies where the protagonist just moves aimlessly from one
scene and strange group of characters to the next (Easy Rider, Mean
Streets, Vanishing Point). I've said before that while I was reading
Sword of the Lictor, my wife asked "What is it about?" and I answered,
"I have no idea." "So, why are you reading it?" "I have to find out how
it ends."

I told my friend who loaned me the books that Wolfe was a tremendous
creator of worlds but a so-so writer. And then I read "Fifth Head" and
understood how to read Wolfe; then I was telling people he was the best
SF writer period.

J.