(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon May 23 10:43:12 PDT 2011

>Gerry Quinn: I'm not familiar with details of the Jungle Book - are their parts of it in
>the story?....I honestly don't understand how anyone can seriously assert that this story
>is anything other than a version of Romulus and Remus!

There are. In The Jungle Book, a human baby is adopted and raised by wolves. He is called Mowgli,
meaning Frog (in wolf speech) due to his lack of fur. There is a council of wolves, a wise and
sober black panther, an evil, rapacious tiger, a garrulous bear and fire referred to as "the red
flower". All these elements are also found in the Tale of the Boy Called Frog.

Nobody is asserting the story isn't a version of Romulus and Remus. But it is clearly more than
just that. Frog is Romulus and Mowgli and a bit of Moses and Cadmus (and perhaps others?) to boot.
The American Pilgrims are referenced also.

For me each one of those allusions connects to the issues of exploration and colonization and conquest
which were introduced in 5HoC.  It helps illuminate the backstory of the history of Urth and human
exploration in space and previous empires, etc. urth illustrates that we can expect human behavior
in the future of spaceship exploration of the galaxy to duplicate our behavior during the past sailing
ship exploration of the world's oceans.