(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon May 23 08:29:27 PDT 2011

Jason H. wrote:
> Wolfe is smart and clever, but I don't think the way he shows his
> cleverness is by leaving elaborate clues at that level of
> misdirection. At the level of tower-as-rocket, yes. But more elaborate
> and obscured than that, I've never seen evidence for. It just doesn't
> strike me as the kind of thing he's interested in (based on reading
> interviews and Castle of the Otter).

Jason,
I rather than a response, I recommend to you this essay as a starting place:
http://www.irosf.com/q/zine/article/10536

Wolfe seems to deliberately write his stories with much more back-story
than he intends his narrators reveal or know. And the elements of that
back-story are often not incidental.

J.