(urth) Wolfe's brilliance or my denseness?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun May 22 10:12:21 PDT 2011

On 5/22/2011 11:32 AM, Nathan C. Tresch wrote:
> A question arising from Jerry's post...
>
> Later in the series the Hierodules inform Severian that the claw is
> actually just a gem with no special powers, so from that I inferred that
> Severian was already connected to the coming of the new sun and the
> power he had was not connected to the claw at all.  Does this seem like
> a valid inference?

There has to be some sort of connection to account for the brilliant
blue glow. It might be just the relic of blood on the thorn that was
encased in the gem, but that doesn't explain the lack of glow coming
from any other of Severian's shed blood when he uses his restoring gift.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >