(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat May 21 16:44:43 PDT 2011

>James Wynn: I think your responses to Lee's points were argumentative without
>touching on the point he is making.

This is in Gerry's nature and I think I can accept that. Harping on the "giant
sloth" bit was an error (the correct term for that creature is "megatheriam") but
what bothers me is the attempt at using it for reductio ad absurdum. To me that is
a dirty trick to play on a fellow member of the small group of passionate Wolfe fans.
Why not be respectful of those with whom you share such a narrow interest? But if you
can't you can't. I have this one cousin who...well, anyway. Regardless of his abrasive
nature I will always consider him part of the family. Gerry also.

James I agree with your negative evidence comment. Why wasn't it Group of 19 and
Cadroe of the 13 Stones?  I think WOlfe is a careful writer. If he didn't want his
readers to connect Megatherians with Ascians rulers and Cadroe's stones I think he
would have made the effort to not throw a bunch of 17's at us, assuring that this
discussion would never occur. Surely he cares at least that much about us.

I have always liked the suggestion that the number 17 had some reference to communism.
The Politburo suggestion is a good one. I've contorted the number of existing communist
nations on earth in the 70's at 17, as another attempt to find some meaning.

The thing is, that does nothing to negate other connections. In fact I would expect
Wolfe's somewhat persistent use of that number to have a simultaneous mythological, a
political and perhaps a personal significance. Even Gerry, with his insistence on
simplified explanations, has admitted that Wolfe often writes at multiple levels of meaning
and understanding.

Anyway, for me the connector of Cadroe's stones to the black bean (megatherian origin) story is
the conversation of Severian and Agilus. There, the terms "seeds" and "stones" are connected.
The connection between beans and seeds isn't hard to make. The overall picture it paints of
megatherians (and hierogrammates) is a coherent and poignant one, as I think my chess game
analogy earlier illustrates.

For me, it was a revelation when I learned that Wolfe didn't invent any of the terms or names he
uses in BotNS. It would certainly diminish the story for me if I thought he was throwing a numeral
at us over and over for no reason or as a red herring. For me, Wolfe creates his mystery not with
a bunch of false paths but by making the true path so difficult to follow.

p.s. Like David I also like the observation that the ringing of the bells is a figurative
expression that the New Sun person is disturbing the curtain as the New Sun celestial body
is disturbing Urth.