(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri May 20 19:04:01 PDT 2011

On 5/20/2011 6:32 PM, James Wynn wrote:

> To me, it seems to be not even much of a puzzle that the 17
> Megatherians are names for the powerful giant aliens that do rule
> and/or have been ruling Urth.
>
> The other options are that megatherians refers to a line of human
> rulers that have ruled under Abaia's authority or a line of human
> rulers that have fashioned themselves as being like Abaia or all the
> undersea powers. But the various occurrence of '17' in Ascia and in
> the Commonwealth simply has to be related. And I think we have enough
> information to put the pieces together:

> Anyway, so it seems to me.

Could "17" not have its own meaning as a number? It's several types of
prime, and perhaps more to the point, it is a number that is not a
traditional Magic Number: 3, 7, 9, 12, etc. It is a number that makes a
great very cool fragment of knowledge that may be part of a lost whole:
it is dramatic and mysterious.

Given the multifarious mythologies Wolfe is mixing up in TBOTNS, there
are many numbers he would want to avoid using. 17 may simply be the
anti-magic-number. It's not susceptible to the usual approaches to
eschatological numerology.

However, this can't explain why he used it three times---why not the
Group of Nineteen?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110520-1, 05/20/2011
Tested on: 5/20/2011 10:04:02 PM