(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri May 20 11:44:18 PDT 2011

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
>>Gerry Quinn:

>>I don't think the 'seventeen megatherians' were anything to do with
>>Erebus,
>>Abaia etc.  The number doesn't particularly match, but more important than
>>that, we have
>>a book called "The Lives of the Seventeen Megatherians" which has a
>>somewhat historical
>>feel to it, as if the story of the megatherians (whoever they were) is
>>long over.
>
> To go with Gerry's scenario I'd have to also accept that the number of the
> "Group of 17"
> is a coincidence. Also that Cadroe of the 17 Stones, the black bean story
> etc. are
> unrelated.

I don't see this as problematic.  We don;t know much about the Group of
Seventeen, but we know where they live, or lived:
"Where the Group of Seventeen sit, there final justice is done."
[trans.]"He went to the capital and complained of the way he had been
treated."
So, they weren't sea monsters - they lived on land (and presumably were
human).  They also make statements, which the sea monsters aren't usually
prone to.  And also, IIRC, only one particular sea monster controls Ascia.

Cadroe of the 17 Stones is someone who comes to fight at the Sanguinary
Fields.  Not a sea monster, obviously. And there seems no reasonable
association with the Group of Seventeen.  What kind of relationship do you
envisage for Cadroe?

And when were the beans ever enumerated?  All we know is that they were
described as a 'handful'.

> And that Wolfe labelling Abaia as "Great Beast" has nothing to do with the
> literal translation of Megatherian.

Megatherian = a large extinct ground sloth.  Doesn't tell us much IMO.  And
surely any gigantic evil-intentioned sea monster might reasonably be called
"Great Beast".  While I don't see him being called "Ground Sloth"!

> I'm disinclined to do all that. Moreover, RttW suggests
> the sea monsters were well established in Severian's boyhood and I'm
> inclined to think their
> growth required something close to the 1000 year post-Typhon history of
> Urth.

I agree.  But surely this again suggests that Cadroe and the Group of
Seventeen have nothing to do with them?

Also: you haven't explained why nobody in the books refers to them as
megatherians any more!

So - while it is interesting that the number 17 is used three times, the
contexts seem to be quite different (the megatherians *might* have been the
Group of Seventeen, but I am inclined to doubt it).  If Wolfe mreant them to
be identified, I think he'd have at least made it more plausible that they
are the same kinds of people/things.  And he'd have made them ALL fit,
whereas it's quite hard to imagine that Cadroe's stones are actually the
Group of Seventeen.

- Gerry Quinn