(urth) do the Hierogrammates *care* about the megatherians?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu May 19 19:36:42 PDT 2011

On 5/19/2011 3:34 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
> I find it difficult to follow Jeff's ideas. I wonder, which came first to Wolfe's mind when writing this story,
> the ocean bound monstrosities or the idea of a Flood? Either way, conceiving Megatherians and a Flood to
> destroy them just doesn't make sense to me. The Flood is a highly disguised, central theme of the story (as
> I think Short Sun reinforces). How could such a central, important theme rely on such a wimpy premise as,
> "well, maybe there were nutient current changes"?

Let me try to serve it up in your terms: Peter is the rock on which the
Lord's house is built, right? All other ground is shifting sand? How
then would those fare whose presume to built not just their homes but
their empires on pillars of water? The waterbourne powers outgrow their
places in the world until their own skeletons can no longer support
them, so when all the Urth trembles with the Increate's judgment, their
quicksilver kingdoms are the first to fall:
"I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart
is like wax; it is melted in the middle of my bowels."

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >