(urth) Do the Hierogrammates *care* about the Megatherians?

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Thu May 19 15:34:58 PDT 2011

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

>> Although it is reasonable to associate "the hero" with Severian, it is hard
>> to imagine that he lives in the "smallest seed in the farthest forest." He's
>> talking about the Increate there.
>
> Actually, I believe this prayer is Trinitarian -- noting that there
> are three parts to it.

The prayer certainly seems to be identifying the Conciliator with the
Increate,in some way - which is not straightforwardly right, but, in
the light of _Short Sun_ and some remarks of Wolfe's ('a form of the
Outsider'), not wholly wrong either.

Little Severian in SOTL 21 also says that the New Sun will kill Abaia,
and Big Severian agrees that that is part of the story, so clearly
there was an established tradition about this.