(urth) the atmosphere on the bridge

Jason H beet31425 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:54:28 PDT 2011

Thanks for the interesting replies. I agree that the bridge must be some
sort of mall-like bazaar. One particular point that bothered me though was
why this traffic didn't flow over onto the Water Way on the other side.
People and carts are presumably crossing the bridge, so how could the Water
Way remain so deserted?

I think there's a hint of an answer in the text (of course): "Leaving the
lapping tongues of the river, I mounted a flight of broken steps from the
Water Way to the more elevated street of the bridge..." The carriages from
the bridge wouldn't go down a flight of stairs to the Water Way. There's
probably a more populated elevated road, parallel to the Water Way, which
takes on the masses of people leaving the bridge.

-Jason