(urth) Dollo's Law

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue May 17 10:34:58 PDT 2011

>Dan'l: ... appears to be more, well, a
> guideline.

>David: Like most of these Laws turn out to be.
>I have forgotten the trait that brought up Dollo's Law---mind projection? mimicry? opposable thumbs?

Yep, most Laws of science become more and more guidelines with exceptions as the science advances. And
Genetics and Evolutionary science have certainly advanced in the past 100+ years.

Dollo's Law was mentioned by Wolfe in 5HoC. I think its mention was the linchpin of arguments on tool use
(handwriting) and whether Shadow Children became humans on Ste. Anne or not. It evolved into some unpleasant
real world discussions about human racial features, iirc.