(urth) relative time travel

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat May 14 14:22:49 PDT 2011

On 5/14/2011 10:08 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>
>> 1. Each day, a train 600,000 km long (two light seconds) traveling north
>> at 90% light speed pulls through a station 600,000 long without slowing.
>
> I'm not sure your figures are right here...
>
> If these are the lengths observed by the native (as it appears), then
> the rest length of the train is more like 1,400,000 km. The mail agents
> will take this into account when discussing who acted first. In their
> frame of reference the station is only 250,000 km long. Logic will force
> them to conclude that the pickup happened first.

ahem. "You guys that already know this will see that I have abstracted
numerous distracting features out of this account."

This example is adapted from Richard Morris' TIME'S ARROWS

http://www.amazon.com/Times-Arrows-Scientific-Attitudes-Toward/dp/0671617664/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305407823&sr=1-1#reader_0671617664

you can search for "lightning" to find his version that dodges length
contraction by having no background and no definite dimensions.  I tried
to include some of these to give the less accustomed posters fewer
indefinite things to envision at once.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >