(urth) Sundial with "multitudinous faces"?

beet 31425 beet31425 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 00:27:10 PDT 2011

Hi folks-- first-time poster. Doing a pretty detailed re-read of New Sun.

I'm having trouble visualizing the sundial in the Atrium of Time. It's
described as "one of those old, faceted dials whose multitudinous faces give
each a different time." And later, there is a reference to "one of its
gnomons", implying it has more than one. What kind of a sundial has multiple
faces and gnomons? I'm having trouble visualizing it. Any thoughts?

btw, it's pretty cool that "Aspice ut aspiciar", translated as "Look on me
that I might be looked upon", is an appeal made to the sun (not to a human
bystander).

-Jason