(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun May 1 15:44:52 PDT 2011

I see. But that's a practical matter, not a theoretical one. Certainly
it's a problem, but if the conditions of horizontal and vertical
nonexclusive democracy are met, then theoretically, why should not the
worst excesses of strong arms (excess mortality, morbidity, deformities,
poverty) be avoided?

A more serious concern, I would think, is whether wealth can be created
or must be stolen, even if only in small increments. In other words,
when we run out of slaves and foreigners to exploit (and bomb), will our
absolute standard of living rise or fall?

On 5/1/2011 5:35 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 5/1/2011 3:01 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>> Exactly. But there's nothing inevitable about exclusion from
>> democracy/humanity.
>
> I don't see how a such a democracy can obtain the means to enforce
> these ideals over all the world without corrupting them and rendering
> the enforcement moot.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110501-1, 05/01/2011
Tested on: 5/1/2011 6:44:53 PM