(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun May 1 10:08:34 PDT 2011

One could establish a democracy under the rule of law. But I see the
basic principle.

I don't see how it extends to poor Chinese people whose water supplies
are poisoned by melamine simply because Americans want plastic things
and China is unable or unwilling to protect the Chinese from the effects
of corruption and environmental pollution (can I call it "environmental
corruption"?).

There's a lot going on there between arm and nose in such a case.

At any rate, as far as that word "impossible"---I doubt anyone has
really tried doing avoiding injustice on a large scale without excluding
certain classes of people as nonhumans. And those that have tried have
been shot.

On 5/1/2011 12:31 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 5/1/2011 7:08 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>> Is it impossible? I had no idea. ;)
>
> If your freedom to swing your arm doesn't end where my nose begins,
> obviously my nose is harmed for the benefit of you getting to swing
> your arm as you like.
>
> If we agree to limit the freedom to swing our arms where the noses of
> others begins, there's no check on the the proliferation of noses and
> one day I am harmed by the atrophy of my arms because there's no room
> to swing them at all.
>
> We could compromise on a minimum arm-swinging radius, but this harms
> armless people by reducing their nose-room while they obviously get no
> benefit from more arm room.
>
> And so on.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110501-0, 05/01/2011
Tested on: 5/1/2011 1:08:34 PM