(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun May 1 09:47:41 PDT 2011

On 5/1/2011 12:11 AM, James Wynn wrote:

>>> "Lasars" was only intended as a cipher for a SF. "ST" is at its core a
>>> fictionalized military service memoir.
>>
>> That's awfully kind of you; I would say it's a persuasive essay on the
>> supremacy of patriotic duty dramatized as a war memoir.
>
> Okay. But starting from Wolfe's view of Realism vs SF, was there actual
> value in telling it as a SF story?

Sure, the war with aliens lets you isolate variables. Out actual wars
have concerns about divided loyalties, inhumane treatment, atrocities
and war crimes, etc.

>>> Honestly, I was only attempting to consider SF literature from the POV
>>> of what I think were Wolfe's problems with 'The Dispossessed'. The
>>> counter-argument could be "Oh, then Wes Craven's 'Halloween' is just a
>>> Crime Thriller with a supernatural killer", or "Star Wars is just King
>>> Arthur with extra shiny swords".
>>
>> You're doing the bogus details as part of the dismissive character,
>> right?
>
> I'm not planting a flag. I'm just exploring Wolfe's argument.
> Personally, I've never read anything on Oprah's list, so if a publisher
> wanted to get me to read that sort of story, he'd package it as a
> different genre.

Oh, I got that you were doing a dismissive person rather than speaking
for yourself, but when you include bogus trivia it can seem like you
actually didn't bother to read or see the original source; there are no
lasers in ST because they weren't quite invented yet when RAH wrote it,
and Wes Craven was not involved with that particular slasher movie
franchise.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >